Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) is an independent, not-for-profit, industry-funded body supporting employers, workers, apprentices, trainees and career seekers in the building and construction industry.
Short courses are individual competencies and skills sets designed for workers wanting to upgrade their skills and knowledge, meet compliance requirements, get a licence or diversify their skills. The Short Courses program provides funding to assit with upskilling and cross skilling workers in the building and construction industry.
What short courses are subsidised by funding?
|Code||Short Course Title||CSQ Contribution||Participant to Pay*|
|CPCCWHS1001||Prepare to work safely in the construction industry (WHITE CARD)||$120.00||Fully Funded|
|WHSQHSRNCB01||Health and Safety Representative (HSR) - WHSQ approved training course – Initial (5 days)||$589.00||$70.00|
|WHSQHSRNCB02||Health and Safety Representative (HSR) Refresher Course - WHSQ approved training course||$268.00||Fully Funded|
|CPCCDE3014||Remove non-friable asbestos||$225.00||Fully Funded|
|CPCCDE4008||Supervise asbestos removal||$225.00||Fully Funded|
|MSMWHS217**||Gas test atmospheres||$202.00||Contact office|
|UEECD0007||Apply work health and safety regulations, codes and practices in the workplace||$240.00||Fully Funded|
|UEERL0003||Conduct in-service safety testing of electrical cord connected equipment and cord assemblies||$303.00||Fully Funded|
|RIIWHS202E**||Enter and work in confined spaces||$300.00||Fully Funded|
|RIIWHS204E**||Work safely at heights||$225.00||Fully Funded|
*Apprentices and Trainees Short Courses are fully funded
** Currently only offered as group bookings run as a dedicated course. Please contact the office for more information.
Participants under this agreement must meet the following eligibility criteria:
Must be one of the following:
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
- A permanent resident of Australia; or
- A visa holder with relevant permission to work
Must be one of the following:
- Eligible Worker employed in Queensland withing the building and construction industry; or
- Self-employed within the building and construction industry; or
- an Unemployed Eligible Worker is a person who has been unemployed for a period of not greater than 4 years that would otherwise meet the requirement of the Eligible worker
- An active Apprentice or Trainee in Queensland undertaking a Recognized Apprenticeship or Traineeship as per the CSQ approved listing; or
- An eligible worker or unemployed eligible worker in the first year out of their CSQ approved apprenticeship or traineeship who must commence training with 365 days of the completion date; or
- A cancelled Apprentice or Trainee was undertaking a CSQ approved apprenticeship or traineeship that has been cancelled and is currently accessing State Government funding to complete their institution based training.
If you are unsure if you are in the building or construction industry or to confirm if you are an eligible worker, you may access this information on the CSQ website.
You must reside in Far North Queensland to apply for funding through Total Management and Training. If you are unsure please refer to this map.
Who is not eligible?
The participant must not be already funded for delivery of the same training being undertaken as part of the Short Course program.
The participant must not be:
- an employee of any Authority (employees of Local Councils are acceptable);
- currently enrolled and participating in a Qld secondary school program (unless as an eligible apprentice or trainee);
- a contracted trainer or assessor or existing worker of an RTO;
- already funded by an Authority or other such source for delivery of the same training being undertaken as part of the relevant program;
- participant seeking a verification of competency.
Some of these short courses are scheduled on our public training calendar. Once you are enrolled and complete the CSQ Eligibility Form we can allocate the CSQ contribution towards your enrolment.
If you have a group, you may book a dedicated course for your organisation as long as you meet the minimum numbers of eligible funded attendees. Minimum numbers vary for each course, so please check with our friendly staff to determine how many people you need to meet this requirement. Maximum numbers for each course is set at 10 participants, and you must pay the per person amount indicated for each attendee; the balance is subsidised by CSQ.
If you don’t have enough people to cover the minimum numbers, you can still book a dedicated course, and you are simply charged the difference between how much the funded people cover and the full course cost. Our team will assist you in calculating the residual cost if this situation arises.
Additional Costs and Expenses
Where training is conducted outside the immediate Cairns area then additional costs will be applicable. Any airfares, travel, accommodation, meals and materials freight incurred in the provision of this training will be on-charged. Please contact us for a formal quotation for courses conducted outside of Cairns.
Course Venue and Equipment
These courses may be conducted in our training rooms in Cairns, or on-site at client premises. Where courses are conducted on-site then a suitable venue and white board are to be provided by the client company. The venue shall have sufficient tables and chairs for participants to be seated comfortably for the duration of training. Any catering costs shall be borne by the client company. Please contact us to discuss alternate arrangements if there is any difficulty in providing these facilities and equipment.
You will need to complete two forms to enrol into a course and access the CSQ Funding.
1. Enrolment and Training Agreement
2. Short Courses - Building and Civil Specific
For public courses, please contact our office to ensure courses are going ahead prior to booking. Asbestos training has a pre-requisite so please contact us for more information on this.
Please contact our office to book an on-site or dedicated course for your organisation (funded or not funded). Dates will only be locked in on the return of a signed quote/booking form, accompanied by funding paperwork for each participant, if relevant.