To give participants an understanding of a proactive and preventative approach to work health and safety. To build health and safety knowledge and experience of employees, safety advisors, health and safety representatives, health and safety officers, other health and safety practitioners and health and safety trainers.
This course delivery is a specific fast-track offering for those currently studying at Griffith University. Your university studies in Health and Safety in the Workplace 2006EHR will cover a significant proportion of work health and safety, particularly legislative requirements and risk management. This qualification offering is a value-add which will complement your studies, and provide you with some hands-on, practical training in WHS.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Familiarise themselves with WHS laws, rights and duties
- Undertake WHS inspections and complete documentation
- Understand hazard identification and the effective control of hazards
- Critically examine the concept of risk assessment and management systems
- Respond to incidents and assist with implementing emergency procedures
- Undertake rehabilitation and return-to-work coordination
- Manage contractors and implement measures and initiatives
Upon successful completion of assessment tasks (and verification of your completion of 2006EHR by Griffith University) you will receive the BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety qualification.
The only option available for this offering is through our blended learning option. We provide access to the relevant units you need to complete through our online elearning portal, which allows access to the materials at any time. We then provide specific support as outlined in the "You Get" tab above.
If we have significant numbers of enrolments we may schedule a classroom delivery session at either the Nathan or Gold Coast campus, or both. The option to run these courses is determined by Total Management and Training.
- A training and assessment plan customised to your circumstances
- Comprehensive learning resources, including our own WHS eBook, plus useful templates
- Online interactive Q&A sessions
- Pre-recorded topic presentations
- Industry sourced webinars and video content
- One hour of one-on-one trainer tuition time - can be used in minimum 15 minute blocks
- Ongoing assistance and guidance from our Support Team
What Do I Need to Access the Resources?
You will need access to a laptop or PC which has reasonable internet access (if you can run Netflix you will be fine). Software requirements will include a current web browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari are recommended) and access to an office suite (All files are included in Microsoft Office format) and a PDF viewer (Adobe Acrobat for example).
We are able to provide student licences for Microsoft Office 365 at reasonable prices for the duration of your enrolment with us - contact us if you want to explore this option.
Time Required to Complete
How long will this take me to complete? This is a common question, and difficult to answer, as everyone is different. Some work faster than others, have existing experience, and prior knowledge. They will probably complete faster. If you have a good study ethic, available time, and chip away at the assessments on a regular basis, you can most likely get this done in the 6 month timeframe or even sooner. If you have limited time, and/or study is challenging for you, give yourself the 12 month timeframe.
- BSBWHS402 Assist with compliance with WHS laws
- BSBWHS403 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS404 Contribute to WHS hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- BSBWHS405 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS management systems
- BSBWHS406 Assist with responding to incidents
- BSBWHS407 Assist with claims management, rehabilitation and return-to-work programs
- BSBWHS408 Assist with effective WHS management of contractors
- BSBWHS410 Contribute to work-related health and safety measures and initiatives
- DEFWHS016 Conduct work health and safety inspections
- PUAWER002B Ensure workplace emergency prevention procedures, systems and processes are implemented
Units in Bold and Italics above are covered by the Griffith University curriculum and verified during the completion of the other units. NOTE - to be awarded these units you must complete the other non-covered units.
Recognition of Prior Learning
RPL for the above units has already been taken into account. If you believe you have existing experience and skills we could take into consideration please discuss with us when we contact you regarding your Qualification Completion Plan.
Whilst no licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication; relevant national, state and territory legislation, regulations and codes of practice impact upon this qualification.
The harmonised WHS legislation brings with it the need for health and safety advisors to hold appropriate qualifications.
Workplace Health & Safety Queensland and other State and Territory Regulators support the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety as an appropriate qualification for Safety Advisors or WHS Officers.
How to Enrol
If you wish to enrol in the Certificate IV in Work Health & Safety, please fill in and email or post a completed enrolment form back to Total Management and Training, indicating you are enrolling in the Griffith University Certificate IV in WHS.
Evidence of enrolment with Griffith University and enrolment in the 2006EHR subject must be provided (e.g. Student Card, Notification of subject enrolment, verification from lecturer).
Enrolment forms may be found on our website.
To assist with affordability, any individuals enrolling in this qualification may enter into a payment plan where an initial small payment is taken up front, and further instalments are deducted via direct debit over a period of time.
For further information, please read the Student Information Handbook which is located at the bottom of our website.