The target audience of this course includes all elected HSRs under the WHS Act who have previously completed the approved initial five day training course.
Participants will refresh their understanding of their roles, powers and functions in the representation, monitoring, investigation and enquiry into work health and safety management at their workplace under WHS legislation.
HSR's are entitled to attend 1 day’s refresher training at least every 3 years, with the entitlement to the first refresher training commencing 3 years after the initial training.
What will I learn?
The course will refresh the information and skills attained under the HSR training course and assist HSRs to carry out their role and functions under the WHS legislation including:
- an understanding of the Work Health and Safety legislation;
- an understanding of how it applies to their role as elected Health and Safety Representatives (HSR); and
- the additional knowledge and skills necessary to use their powers under the new WHS legislation in issuing Provisional Improvement Notices and directing unsafe work to cease.
The course is intended to assist HSRs and deputy HSRs understand how the WHS legislation will influence health and safety outcomes in their workplace. The course aims to inform participants of the knowledge and skills necessary to fulfill their role as Health and Safety Representatives.
The aims of this course are to provide HSRs with a refresh of key information and knowledge from the approved initial training including:
- WHS Act legislative framework
- The role and functions of WHSQ and their interaction with HSRs
- Duties and responsibilities of PCBUs, officers, workers and other parties under the legislation
- The nature of the consultation process with workers as required of the primary PCBU by the Act
- The purpose and formation of a workgroup (or workgroups) within the workplace
- Election process for HSRs / Deputy HSRs and disqualification provisions
- Health and Safety Committees (HSCs)
- The entitlements, rights and protections of an elected HSR/Deputy HSR
- Using negotiation, communication and problem solving skills and strategies as a HSR to represent a work group and to resolve work health and safety issues
- Risk management and the use of risk controls, including the duties and responsibilities of various PCBUs under the legislation
- How HSRs can use their functions and powers to contribute to risk management activities in the workplace
- Provisional Improvement Notices and the right to cease, or direct the cessation of, unsafe work.
Persons eligible for the HSR refresher training course are elected HSRs who have already completed the approved five day initial training course, and have been elected in the role for a further three year term. Continuing HSR's must refresh their training at least every 3 years under the WHS Regulation 2011.
The one day refresher course is not able to be undertaken via the Recognition of Prior Learning process. Training must be conducted face-to-face in a classroom environment. This is a requirement of the Regulator.
How will I be assessed and what will I receive?
Participant engagement and attendance will be assessed by the trainer in addition to a knowledge evaluation assessment. Course participants who attend the one day training, and participate during the training delivery will receive a Statement of Attendance.
The course is usually conducted in our training rooms in Cairns. Where courses are conducted on-site then a suitable venue, data projector and white board are to be provided by the client company. The venue shall have sufficient space for the participants to be seated comfortably for the duration of training. Any catering costs shall be borne by the client company. Please contact us to discuss alternate arrangements if there is any difficulty in providing these facilities and equipment.
Where the training is conducted outside the immediate Cairns area additional costs will be applicable. Any airfares, travel, accommodation, meals and materials freight incurred in the provision of this training will be on-charged. Mileage will be charged at 80¢ (plus GST) per kilometre and traveling time will be charged at our standard rates. Please contact us for a formal quotation for courses conducted outside of Cairns.
The latest course schedule and enrolment form may be found in our Calendars page under Training on our website. Those wishing to attend a course will be required to show evidence that they have attended the initial 5 day training course. Please download, fill in and email the completed enrolment form and HSR initial course evidence back to Total Management and Training to secure a place on the next course.
How to Book an On-Site or Dedicated Course
Contact our office to book an on-site or dedicated course for your organisation. Dates will be scheduled on receipt of course booking.